Saturday 10 December 2011

Batcave Rebuild & Update


I've been busy lately re-creating the c3 Minimate Batcave but in Lego Digital Designer. My idea is to get to a preliminary build stage and scavenge the bricks from my own collection; which is quite extensive (about 7 crates or so). Once i've assembled it in L.D.D i'll create a parts list so that I can hunt for the parts. Any parts I don't find i'll order from bricklink.
I've got past the Preliminary build stage, spent most of my free time on LDD building it and figuring out ways to work around the original c3 parts. Not all of them will be available in Lego form. The building challenge to recreate the lift that takes Bruce Wayne from the 3rd floor to the 2nd floor to change into Batman will be interesting for me, as it involves a technical challenge as well as an attempt by me to be aesthetically good as well.
Some pictures for you to browse. This is the original blue print to the c3 minimate batcave showing the lift. You can see the Great Grandfather clock opens to reveal a secret door to the lift.



You might of also noticed that the lift is operated by a large blue rod from the top of the building spire through the centre of the lift chamber, this piece wont be available in lego form, neither will the lift chamber pieces, which will probably have to be completely rebuilt by me in lego form somehow.

In my preliminary build on LDD, I skirted around these for the time being, it's not so much lazyness on my part but more getting around the building restrictions of the program, whilst its fun to play around with LDD doesn't have every single lego brick available, and on the technical side it's never as good as actually having the bricks in front of you, i think my best attempts and ideas for the lift conversion will come when i've got the preliminary build out of the way. Never the less here is a snap shot of what the batcave looks like in LDD after the preliminary build.

I'm really pleased with how the computer chair and console worked out, aside from the lift being a challenge, i'll also be reworking the stair pieces, I doubt they will be totally accurate to the c3 design but they certainly wont end up looking as blocky or awkward as they do here.

My final extension ideas centre around the ground floor archpiece, when the Batmobile has either been built or acquired (not sure which yet) i fully intend to use the lower archway as the garage/holding area, I also want to extend the 3rd floor to go above the changing area, I might do away with the circular cove pieces and make the changing area from reshaped plastic glass just in that square area on the second floor, above on the 3rd i want to add an extension so that it's a Bruce Wayne Study.
I'll finish by adding that I am well on my way to assembling a parts list of over 770 lego bricks to build it, as well as let you readers know I've recently acquired Ultimate Cyclops Minimate off ebay for just a small £1 bid. = Win!

No comments:

Post a Comment